This past weekend we celebrated Mason’s very first bite of real food!! #masonsfirstbite was a huge hit for the kids! What is more exciting than carrots and squash after months of sustaining only on milk? I knew I wanted to make a big deal about it – to celebrate him AND to get Stella interested in his milestone. As I remember those first few months of solids can be time consuming and I want to ensure she is on board and involved. Plus, I know they both love food AND it is a good excuse to party… See for yourself… Mason definitely enjoyed himself
I planned this crafty celebration the same way I would do any party just on a much smaller scale!
- Pick a theme – in this case ORANGE (and baby food!)
- Think about the details to make that theme POP – carrots, squash, backdrop, bib, utensils, tableware, centerpiece.
- Choose some small touches to DIY – the streamer backdrop, yum yum sign, etc.
- Pull it all together by tying as much as you can back to your theme… I will be honest I sought out the right colour plates, picked the matching bib, chose his tshirt with purpose and even bought my weekly flowers to match! Obviously I also bought extra veg for the perfect theme décor. Don’t forget to include a few of those signature things that take something ordinary and make it a true party – balloons, sprinkles, music, noise makers, etc.
- Prepare everything in advance so you can enjoy the moment with the kiddos and not be tied up in the kitchen… this one is KEY.
- Finally every celebration is better when documented so photograph the entire thing in great light!
…unsure if every party needs a hashtag these days but I gave it one anyways for kicks! #masonsfirstbite
Streamer Backdrop – super fast, simple and inexpensive. Key part being FAST – I wished I could have strung about 3x the streamers BUT naps didn’t work in my favor and it just didn’t happen. String up a piece of fishing line then cut varied lengths of streamers and hang them over the line.
Yum Yum Sign – I used my Cricut Explore to create this orange and green sign to match our carrot theme #firstbite party.
Carrot Centerpiece – I arranged tri color organic carrots in glass vases instead of using flowers! Stella loved that the centerpiece was edible!
Baby Food – Some of my fave baby food recipe books are Sprout Right, Weelicious, Bebe Gourmet and Hungry Monkey. (if you are staring solids head to the library or amazon.ca) For Mason’s first bites I steamed the carrots and roasted the squash and simply pureed them in the Blendtec to make them the perfect consistency. When I do baby food I make a good size batch and freeze the rest in ice cube trays so I can pop out small portions to defrost when needed. As his appetite grows I will fill reusable squeeze tubes (I like the ones by Sili Squeeze) and keep them in the fridge for easy feeds on the go.
Mason’s Fox bib is by Mally Designs – I heart there magnetic closure, wipe-able leather fabric and cute designs. Plus it’s made in Canada! Find more fun bibs to order here
Feeding utensil and divided plate is by Re-Play – Made of recycled HDPE, the products are manufactured, assembled, packaged and tested in the USA! Stella tried their no-spill cup for the first time at the party and its a winner! Her only request was for me to get her one in purple… toddler=diva.